Dramatic effects of a layout change

This post was written by Jeroen on February 3, 2009
Posted Under: Blogging

A few days back I initially posted the article ‘Collected UAProf URLs’. The format I used for the information was one big table with the first column the brand, the second column the model and the third column the UAProf URLs, e.g.:

Asus 1210 http://uaprofile.asus.com/uaprof/ASUS121…
  ASUS-P550 http://uaprofile.asus.com/uaprof/ASUS-P5…
  GalaxyII http://uaprofile.asus.com/uaprof/ASUS-Ga…
  GalaxyMini http://uaprofile.asus.com/uaprof/ASUS-Ga…
  J501 http://uaprofile.asus.com/uaprof/ASUS-J5…

I almost immediately saw a spike in traffic most of it to that article resulting from people searching UAProf information for specific devices.

I didn’t really like the layout of the article so I made a small change. Instead of one huge table with everything in there, I decide to use a paragraph for each brand like this:

Asus

1210 http://uaprofile.asus.com/uaprof/ASUS121…
ASUS-P550 http://uaprofile.asus.com/uaprof/ASUS-P5…
GalaxyII http://uaprofile.asus.com/uaprof/ASUS-Ga…
GalaxyMini http://uaprofile.asus.com/uaprof/ASUS-Ga…
J501 http://uaprofile.asus.com/uaprof/ASUS-J5…

 

To my surprise traffic to this article stopped almost completely within a day. Today I changed it back to it’s previous format and … traffic is back. I never imagined that a layout change (no words added or removed, no links changed) could have such a dramatic effect on search originated traffic.

Tags: ,

Add a Comment

required, use real name
required, will not be published
optional, your blog address

Previous Post: