Just a quick update.
The next article I’ll publish will be about receiving SMS messages on your computer.
There are interesting applications you can build with SMS, some require you to be able to receive SMS messages as well as send them:
- Phone number verification. After the user has supplied you with their cell-phone number, you can send a code in a SMS message to a cell phone and have the user confirm that code on a web page.
- Remote control. You can write an application that waits for incoming SMS ‘commands’. Your application sends the commands and returns the results of the commands via SMS.
- SMS alerts. You can write an application that monitors your computer/software/network and/or website and sends out an SMS alert whenevr their is something out of the ordinary.
- SMS marketing. After you’ve captured you’re audience’s cell phone numbers, you can occasionally send reminders, offers, coupons, etc you get them back to you’re website.
- SMS voting. Made popular by shows like American Idols, voting by SMS is one of the more successful applications of SMS.